Interesting use of words and technology

Wordle: Untitled Courtesy of http://www.wordle.net/create Here is a small example of a wordle created with a sonnet from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. This site would be a great tool for students to use in class and at home. I thought they could use it with Shakespeare's texts as it draws out particular words in a creative way. This would help with the students finding ladders or meaning in the text and helping with understanding.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wikis - good tool!

There are so many new technologies that I have been learning in the last month and I am finding it very rewarding when I achieved these new skills. Another new one for me is the use of Wiki's. After looking at some videos of Wikis and other literature I have discovered that they will also be a great tool for the youth of today in their classrooms.

Wikis are great tools for group projects in classrooms as students can work on their projects from home and school. When I looked at the Beyond School website I found that students were using Wikis in their Shakespearian classes. On the website, I found a Street Talk version of Shakespeare's King Lear. They have translated the Shakespearian language into everyday language which is great for the students understanding of the play and interpreting it into their own words. They have done this by creating a wiki to do the translations for all to see. This is fantastic, I think this would be a great way for students to interact with the language of the play and if they are unsure of what the language means the could view another translation from someone else to help them. That also develops peer teaching.

I was thinking to myself how will I incorporate technology into Drama classes but here is a perfect example of a Wiki in use. I believe students will be engaged in this type of learning as it is hands on and promotes group work. In regards to learning declarative knowledge I have also come across in my reading the use of online textbooks, which would help students understanding of concepts and they could write it in their own words. Another great use of Wikis.

In reference to the Kearsley and Shneiderman's Engagement Theory; Relate, Create, Donate. I believe that Wiki's would be a good resource to work alongside this theory. The 'Create' notion from their theory is where they believe students should be "conducting their own projects" and they "have a sense of control over their learning". Kearsley, G & Scheiderman, B (1999). Wikis would work well with this type of creating process.

References: Kearsley,G. & Shneiderman, B. (1999)'Engagement Theory - A Framework for technology - based teaching and learning'. Retrieved from http:http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment